I had the privilege to listen to Zara‘s new album “So Good” prior its release this Friday. Below you can find my review track by track.
- What They Say: Just like she did with her previous Scandinavian album “1”, Zara opens the album with a midtempo song. Produced by Zara’s partner in crime MNEK, in “What They Say” Zara gives advices to someone really close to her heart. She tells them not to believe what people say and that she believes in them with all of her heart. The song is a great introduction to the album but the best is yet to come.
Favorite lyrics: ‘Cause I believe in you with all of my heart. Know that it’s true, I know it’s hard.
- Lush Life: Who doesn’t know this song, right? One of the biggest songs from last year, “Lush Life” is what a pop song should be all about. Fun, catchy lyrics that stay with you for a long time (1 year and 9 months to be exact). This is definitely Zara’s magnum opus and like her, is here to stay.
Favorite lyrics: I live my day as if it was the last. Live my day as if there was no past. Doin’ it all night, all summer. Doin’ it the way I wanna.
- I Would Like: I Would Like samples Sasha’s “Dat Sexy Body” and is one of the catchiest songs on the album. This song was first released as a buzz song but it ended up becoming Zara’s highest charting single in the UK so far and without a music video (it deserved one #JusticeForIWouldLikeVideo #WeWantAVideoForIWouldLike). In the song Zara sings how bad she wants to get to know someone and get under their sexy body. Flirty lyrics, great production, what else do you want from a pop song?
Favorite Lyrics: I can’t help myself, it’s human nature, human nature. Who’s to say what’s meant to be?. Why can’t we be on our worst behaviour, worst behaviour when it all comes naturally
- So Good: Zara’s current single featuring US rapper TY Dolla $ign. When this song was first released we were surprised at how different it was from Zara’s previous singles. It’s a very chill song, perfect to listen to with the windows down.
Favorite Lyrics: You be, stuck on it ’cause my love so good. So you, keep comin’ back to get some more. Got you in your feelings, all emotional. My love, my love.
- TG4M: Too Good For Me is a really nice Pop/R&B song with a really smooth chorus that will get stuck in your head for some time.
Favorite Lyrics: I don’t pick up the phone. Take an hour or longer to write something back when you text me. Tell you, “leave me alone”. Need some time on my own .But soon as you gone, come and get me.
- Only You: The song starts with a very clear message, Zara doesn’t wanna shower even if she stinks cause she doesn’t want to wash her lover off. When you hear that first verse you instantly know what the song is going to be about, Zara can’t love anybody else but her lover. We have already heard this song live but let me tell you that the studio version is a bit different. Meanwhile the live version is a power ballad, the studio version is more like an R&B midtempo ballad. One of the highlights from the album.
Favorite Lyrics: ‘Cause I can’t love nobody like I love myself. Like I love myself. Only you. No one’s ever touched me like I touch myself. No, nobody else. Only you.
- Never Forget You: Zara’s breakout hit in the US, UK and Australia. What can we say about this song that you don’t know already? Zara’s powehouse vocals combined with MNEK’s take us to pop heaven.
Favortie Lyrics: I used to be so happy, but without you here I feel so low. I watched you as you left, but I can never seem to let you go.
- Sundown: The song features Wizkid and it has a really nice reggae feel that makes you want to be on an island with someone you love dancing to this song. The best part of this song is definitely the breakdown followed by Zara’s verse.
Favorite Lyrics: I want it in the morning, in the morning. In the middle of the day. Baby, ’cause midnight. Yeah, midnight seems so far away.
- Don’t Let Me Be Yours: Co-written by Ed Sheeran Don’t Let Me Be Yours is one of the strongest songs on the album. Featuring Ed’s background vocals on the pre-chorus and chorus this song is the definition of pop well done with a little bit of folk.
Favorite Lyrics: I may know myself, but I realize I can’t be let astray. I know, I know that you’re bad for my head. But I don’t care I want you anyway.
- Make That Money: The anthem of the album. This is such a big empowering and powerful song. Zara has always being very vocal about social issues and she definitely leaves a statement in this song.
Favorite Lyrics: Time’s up, runnin’ ’round me in my truck. We gon’ celebrate, party everyday. One life, that’s all I ever wanted. We can conquer hate.
- Ain’t My Fault: Zara’s third single from this era. A very in your face song that shows Zara’s big attitude personality and vocally wise.
Favorite Lyrics: No I can’t be responsible if I get you in trouble now.. See you’re too irresistible. Yeah, that’s for sure.
- One Mississippi: One of our favourite moments on the album. Zara’s voice shines throughout the whole song. The melody, the production, the bass drum after the middle 8, everything about this song is literally so good.
Favorite lyrics: We kiss just to make up, we love just to break up. We head for disaster, but live for the danger.
- Funeral: When you start hearing the song you think it’s going to be a power ballad but then it changes completely to a very upbeat sound. The song switches between upbeat and midtempo sounds that make it one of the most interesting songs on the album. The best part of the song is Zara’s powerhouse vocals.
Favorite lyrics: Burn all the letters, all of my secrets. Things only you’d know. Bury my heart six feet under, throw us a funeral.
- I Can’t Fall In Love Without You: The proper ballad on the album. Although there are no big vocals on this song they are not needed as it’s a very sencere song full of emotion.
Favortite Lyrics: Don’t you think I give a fuck? Give a fuck ’bout who you fuck? But I hope you can get it up.
- Symphony: Clean Bandit’s new single featuring Zara. This song is simply ear candy. From the production, to the melodies. The chorus is one of the catchiest and biggest chorus in pop in recent years. We expect big things for this song.
Favorite Lyrics: And now your song is on repeat. And I’m dancin’ on to your heartbeat. And when you’re gone, I feel incomplete. So if you want the truth I just wanna be part of your symphony.
Songs that should be singles: Don’t Let Me Be Yours, Only You, One Mississippi.
“So Good” is a great introduction to the world. An album full of catchy songs, empowering lyrics and powerful vocals. The 2 year wait was definitely worth it. Zara did that!
“So Good” will be available worldwide this Friday, March 17th. Pre-order a copy at ZaraLarssonOfficial.Com.